Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) is a National financial scheme aimed to provide universal banking services like basic savings, deposit accounts, remittance, insurance, pension, insurance in an affordable manner for every Indian citizen. It was launched by the Government of India in August 2014.
Under this scheme, 15 million bank accounts were opened on scheme launching day. As of June 2018, more than 31.8 crore bank accounts were opened and 800 billion rupees were credited.
Advantage of availing PMJDY Scheme:
- Individuals who have no account in any bank are eligible for this scheme.
- PMJDY accounts can be opened with zero balance in any bank branch.
- Under this scheme, it covers accident insurance amount about Rs. 2 lakh to Jan Dhan Yojana account holders.
- It covers the life insurance amount of Rs. 30,000 to PMJDY account holders who opened their accounts between 15-08-2014 to 31-01-2015.
- RuPay Debit card is accessible to the PMJDY account holder.
- PMJDY account holders can’t have more than one savings account as per RBI norms.
Under this scheme, one can avail subsidies and Direct Benefit transfer given by the Union Govt through the PMJDY account.
Documents required for Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana:
There are certain documents to be submitted by an individual while opening this Savings Account. There are norms for individuals who have no valid documents to open the account.
Below is the list of documents required for Pradhan Mantri Jan-Dhan Yojana:
Aadhaar Card/Aadhaar Number
In Case, Aadhaar card is not available, one of the following valid documents is required.
Voter ID Card
Central/State government-issued ID cards with the applicant’s photograph.
Eligibility Criteria for PMJDY account:
Anyone who is above 10 years of age.